Friday, June 21, 2013

Does "Selling" Make You Uncomfortable?

I was inspired to write this short message after being on a conference call and hearing the leader talk about his discomfort with making a sales pitch to an audience. It reminded me of myself from not too long ago.

If you're anything like me, you don't consider yourself a "salesman" although you have to sell your products and services if you expect to make a profit. 

It took a while for me to stand before an audience and promote my products and services in detail. In the beginning I would quickly mention that I had products at the back table if someone was interested in making a purchase. I glossed over my coaching services, assuming people would understand what I do and seek me out. I didn't want to come across as pushy or sales-y for fear of turning prospective buyers off. Needless to say, I didn't make a high percentage of sales.

Many of us, including me, have had enough bad experiences being sold to or being manipulated to buy something we really didn't want or need thatour ability to trust hasbeen shattered. This anti-sales attitude causes us to go out of our way to not come across as pushy or sales-y to the point that our ability to turn prospects to paying clients is undermined. This fear of selling can be the very thing that is stopping you from growing your business to its fullest potential.

Whether you are in retail sales or professional services, you want to seize, not avoid, every opportunity to offer your products and services. Remember that you're in business to meet a need and change lives. This revelation, and approach, should eliminate any fear you have of coming across as another "sleazy salesman" and allow you to freely operate in authenticity. Offering your products and services is about inspiring others to bless themselves and be open to new possibilities. Doing business with you is a natural expression of that. More to come ...
 

No comments:

Post a Comment